Abatan, in the early times, was the meeting place for traders from three different ethno-linguistic groups- the Tuwali, Kalanguya and Kankanaey. Located between these three communities, they act as interpreters, negotiators and pacifiers whenever there are conflicts.
The original name of the place was “Kinga” but one day, a trader from Gonhadan (probably Guinsadan at Bauko, Mountain Province) came to trade his ceramic Chinese jars. Noticing that there are other people from different places speaking different languages, he said “sina abe di asi takun pan-aabatan”, meaning “this is the place where we meet”. From then on, it became “Abatan” to the traders until eventually, the place was called Abatan.
During the American regime, Abatan was then called Kinga and is known as the place of Dulnuan Camhol, an appointed Alkalde (Mayor) of Hungduan.
Circa 1942, a public school was put up at sitio Awa, then called Kinga School, where flags of both the Philippines and America were raised daily, with the American flag being raised higher than the Philippine flag. The first teachers were Pait Buyuccan of Poblacion, Hungduan and Joaquin Dugyon of Burnay (now Lagawe). After only six months, the World War II broke out and the school had to be closed.
Later, in 1963, Abatan was formally declared as a barrio of Hungduan, Ifugao of Mountain Province by virtue of Executive Order No. 42, and series of 1963 when Ifugao was not yet created as a lone district. The legal bases for the creation of a barrio are the following:
- Republic Act No. 1408 passed by Philippine Congress in 1955 which provided for the creation of barrio councils;
- Republic Act No. 2370 (Barrio Charter) passed on June 20, 1959 defining the specific powers and functions of the barrio councils, officials and the general assembly; and
- Republic Act No. 3590 (Revised Barrio Charter) which was enacted in congress in 1963 amending R.A. 2370 granting autonomy to barrio government and providing incentives for self-help. It made possible the position of barrio captains and councilmen elective and invested with political authority.
Barangay Abatan is located at the foot of Mount Napulawan, 16’50’13.83” North and 120’57’33.94” East. It is bounded from the north by barangay Poblacion, from the south by barangay Wangwang of Tinoc, east by barangay Maggok and the west by barangay Ahin of Tinoc.
The barangay has a total land area of 2,530 hectares, ranking fourth widest land area among the nine barangays of the Municipality.
Sitios of Barangay Abatan