The name of the Barangay Nungulunan was derived from the root word “gulun” which is a local term for cogon. It was named after this grass, since the place before was thickly covered with cogon. This type of grass was widely used before by the people for roofing their native houses.
Barangay Nungulunan then, was a part of Hapao, which is one of the Barangays of the municipality of Banaue. It was in the year 1923 that Executive Order No. 33 made Hungduan a municipal district, but the barangays of Hapao, Bokiawan, Lubuong and Nungulunan were still under the municipality of Banaue.
Later, under the Batas Pambansa Bilang 327 dated January 19, 1983, the barangay of Hapao, Bokiawan,Lubuong and Nungulunan, out of Banaue were transferred to Hungduan. This now marks the inclusion of Barangay Nungulunan as part of the Municipality of Hungduan, Ifugao.
The Barangay is located mid-north bisecting the municipality. The Barangay hall is built along the road. It is nine (9) kilometers from the Poblacion, Hungduan and nine (9) kilometers from Banaue, Ifugao. It has two shared major rivers named Hapao River and Howang River which makes the south and north boundaries, and twelve (12) creeks with one hot spring. The barangay is politically divided into 39 sitios or clusters.
Sitios of Barangay Nunggulunan